Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Defend the Constitution

A local reader sent me this about Defend The Constitution's battle against the growing tyranny of the religious right. I was actually already a member (I see that Red State Rabble is also posting it). There are a lot of grassroots organizations springing forth to combat fundamentalism in all its form (and of course all ask for donations!). At some point, one has to limit how many organizations of which he or she can be a part. I'm personally interested in those organizations that defend science (and science education) first and foremost, but also those that combat the growing threat of religious fundamentalism. Here's my list:

Tops is the National Center for Science Education. They have always been in the forefront of defending science education and I have always supported their efforts.

I've also recently joined (and would recommend):
Scientists and Engineers for America (SEA)
Defend Science

And one of my new personal favorites:
Richard Dawkins Foundation for Science and Reason

For fighting fundamentalism I recommend the following:
Americans United for the Separation of Church and State (probably the best)
Center for Progressive Christianity
Christian Alliance for Progress

I'm sure there are others....the issue at stake is the ability for Americans to choose their own religious convictions (or lack of) without fear or intimidation from others and to recognize that religious organizations should not be allowed to dictate policy.

2 comments:

Bulletin Board II said...

For some reason the Flyatnight website is offline.

The longest running "daily" blog is kanwehelp.com. This is a very contraversial blog in Lassen County. It seems to disclose information to the public that would never be printed in the local newspaper. Very interesting stuff on this webblog.

Health News said...

This is a wonderful site. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.