Sunday, April 15, 2007

Lassen County Illuminati

Enjoyed a wonderful evening at the new Thai restaurant in nearby Janesville (yes, we have a Thai restaurant in the back country of northeastern California!)...I only hope it survives the monolithic cuisine culture here in the northstate (look, I like steak, potatoes and burritos as much as the next person, just not every damn day!).

We met some good friends there and talked about Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and how good science education (and a longing for economic justice) led some of us out of the darkness. As we were leaving I offhandedly suggested we just had the first meeting of the Lassen County Atheist Society...laughter and talk of secret codes and handshakes followed.

But later I got to thinking about Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, and the whole secret society of the Illuminati, guardians of science during a period when reason was considered heresy - an age to which, my friend suggests, America is quickly returning. If she is correct, then what we really need is the Lassen County Society of the Illuminati...

Hmmm....

4 comments:

Chuck Garner said...

Lassen County Illuminati is okay, I guess but not very illuminating as to its nature, unless the point is to be exclusive. Why not open it up to those who haven't quite resolved their theological questions and call it the "Lassen County Progressives". Or shorten it to "The Lassen Progressives"? That way, it could serve to counter both the NeoCons and the TheoCons , without having to explain the name. My own creds on this subject is, I tried to get the Navy to stamp Atheist on my dog tags but they had to do it the Navy way, and it came out Athiest. I know of at least 3 writers to the LCT who live in Janesville, and I live just 20 miles down the road, so maybe this Thai place might be a good place to meet, should that event ever occur.

Christopher O'Brien said...

Hi Chuck...actually that's one of the reason's I came up with Illuminati rather than strict atheist. The Illuminati were the keepers of all knowledge considered heretical (and I would suggest a good deal of progressive thought is considered heretical)and were not necessarily atheistic. My wife (who holds somewhat different opinions on this issue than myself) liked Illuminati better as well...I don't know how serious we all are about meeting on a regular basis other than for Thai food (it's excellent, by the way, from same owner as the Royal Thai House in Reno)...it would be nice to have more folks join us for sure...

Chuck Garner said...

Actually, I'm thinking of creating a website called "Lassen Progressives" which is still my intention, to serve as a counterforce to the prevailing political mindset here in the Northeastern corner of paradise because I absolutely do not want to see our aptly named representative serve another term.

Health News said...

yeah truly a great site.I really enjoyed my visit.