Saturday, June 23, 2007

Advise Your Kids - Northstate Science Is Rated PG

From Duane at Abnormal Interests, comes this little gem to help you decide if parental controls should apply to your own blog. And how is Northstate Science rated?

Apparently I use the word "dead" four times, "death" once, and (God help us!) "sex" twice (it must have been the "meat for sex" thing that took my blog out of the sphere of being family-friendly). Following Duane's procedure I ran it two more times but kept getting the same results.

I am not sure what to make of this. Seems like an archaeologist talking about the dead and death would be, well, kind of normal. Ah, we'll just blame it all on the sex....

UPDATE: Whoa! When I take Duane's advice in his comment and log off then back on I get 6 "Dead", 3 "Death", 2 "Kill" and (he, he!) 4 "Sex" references (although I don't know where those are coming from)...and now I'm at PG13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned...

UPDATE II: After several more attempts it seems to have leveled out at an R Rating with 7 references to "Dead", 5 to "Sex", 4 to "Death" and 3 to "Kill"....definately not in the family-friendly range anymore...

3 comments:

Duane Smith said...

Did you rerun it before of after you posted on it the first time? I did the second run after I had posted the results of my first run. By the way, when I tried a third run after posting the results of the second run as an update, I got an R rating. Obviously, things not only accumulated but they added items that they ignored the previous time.

The Ridger, FCD said...

The new ones are probably there from the post discussing the rating, where you report the words you got zinged for.

However, it's entirely possible to get an NC-17 rating with no sex whatsoever. I had a Philip K Dick quote, but when I edited all the Dicks into Ducks, I still got the NC-17 rating for "death, suicide, shooting, danger".

While it's nice that death and danger gets you that kind of a rating, still, any program that just yanks words out of context is useless. All the "danger" on my site is in things like Alexander Hamilton and Mark Twain quotes about the government, or David Hume about religion...

Health News said...

I can't believe how much of this I just wasn't aware of. Thank you for bringing more information to this topic for me. I'm truly grateful and really impressed.