Monday, June 11, 2007

Friends And The Power Of Blogging

Some very interesting blog reading today...

Afarensis (who originally alerted me to the issue) and Abnormal Interests both picked up on the Hadza post from yesterday. Tim at Remote Central left a comment asking if there was anyone who might be able to intervene in this tragic situation. Fortunately, there are a number of indigenous rights groups about, some of which the original MSNBC article alluded to, although the nature of hunter-gatherer groups (no centralized authority, dispersed, etc.) makes it hard for them to be represented properly. I see that Anthroplogy.Net had also picked up on the story. Kambiz and the other commenters had some good suggestions - spreading the word about the current situation facing the Hadza would help raise awareness and possibly put enough pressure on the Tanzanians internationally to at least make them sit and listen to the tribe. Contacting Survival International was a great idea (I've written to them as well)...Cultural Survival is another group to which one might send an email or letter...I really appreciate everyone's concern on this issue...

Another surprise awaited my daily repertoire of blog reading...Martin at Aardvarchaeology found that the editor of the journal Antiquity quoted my post on archaeology and creationism in the current issue. I was quite frankly dumbfounded...Martin sent me an email over the weekend in which he anticipated posting on "...this blogger who is quoted extensively in the editorial of Antiquity's summer issue...". My first thought was: "Fantastic...I wonder who he's talking about?"...I really appreciate Martin taking the time to point the editorial out to everyone (not to mention I'm delighted a journal the caliber of Antiquity is picking up on my concern that we as archaeologists should take a more active role in combating creationism).

These blog entries spawned a couple of thoughts this afternoon. First, it's wonderful having friends in the blogging community who continue to encourage you by taking the time to reference your writing. I know I was gloating about being picked up by Crooks and Liars last week, but I wouldn't trade Afarensis, Martin or Duane for any of those big ticket blogs. Getting picked up by any of these three guys (and lots of other science-type bloggers) to me is an honor...

Secondly, the blogging response to both the Hadza situation and the current editorial in Antiquity further illustrated to me the power of blogging. I think people take the blogging community more seriously than many of us realize. And many in the blogging community affect change more often than they realize also. I'm proud to be associated with such a cutting edge group of people...

14 comments:

Kambiz said...

Hi Chris, I wanted to let you know that whatever attention that's coming your way is well deserved and a bit overdue. Why? Because your blog and writings have been exceptional to blogging as a whole, and the anthropology blogosphere.

About the Hadza issue, I just submitted your blog post to Digg to help spread the word. There's good potential lots of eyes will see this. Digg (vote) up the submission by clicking under the yellow counter... the more diggs it has the more people will see it. Spread this to others you know to vote!

Here is the link to digg: Hadza Tribal Lands Being Confiscated By Arab Royal Family.

I feel like we can really get something done about this human rights violation if more people can see this.

Kambiz

CFeagans said...

It's always good for the blogosphere to have a journal cite a blog post, but it's GREAT that it was Chris' post here at Northstate cited by Antiquity! I don't know about other bloggers, but I always have that nagging fear that what I'm doing amounts to just so much graffiti. So when I get an occasional word of praise or link from another blog, its motivational.

I couldn't begin to know what the feeling is like to have Antiquity quote me!

Well, done Chris!

And make that 6 diggs from 5! If we can make a silly meme about what books we read that visits several hundred bloggers, surely we can get the word out about such an important issue.

Christopher O'Brien said...

Kambiz,
Thanks so much for the kind words; you, Carl, Afarensis, Martin and a host of other anthropology bloggers keep me inspired to continue writing...And thanks for spreading the word on the Hadza...I caught all the additional posts - I really think something will come of it and at least some pressure will be brought to bear...Thanks again for all the help!

Carl, you are quite correct - I can't describe the feeling being quoted in Antiquity...certainly an honor! But don't ever think you're just "posting graffiti" - I think all of us play an important role and everyone's time will come (I just got kind of lucky...) - if I recall correctly, you, Afarensis and a few others pointed that out to me on my blogiversary not too long ago! Keep the ball rollin'....
And thanks for everything!
Chris

Clear Skin Max acne treatment said...

Though I am a business student, I have to say this is really an interesting blog.Thank you very much.

Duramale early ejaculation pills review said...

It is picking up on my concern that we as archaeologists should take a more active role in combating creationism.

Sizegenetics penis traction device said...

I read an article somewhere about the hunter gathered group.I am really interested about the anthropology about them..

Compare natural ED pills said...

I just submitted your blog post to Digg to help spread the word. good work...!!

Caliplus natural anti impotence pills said...

Bonding things is always powerful .

Caliplus said...

The blogging response to both the Hadza situation and the current editorial in Antiquity further illustrated to me the power of blogging. I think people take the blogging community more seriously than many of us realize.

Best Washing machine reviews said...

The friends have a lot of influence about blogging

0Zero7 said...

Although I can't agree with all you staded, I must confess I do love your way of writing.
web hosting pakistan
reseller hosting

Samsung UN55d7000 said...

Hey Chris i want to say that i love your style of writing. Thank you for sharing this informative stuff with us.

Duramale best premature ejaculation product said...

Repro House Frost & Reed in London and was sold many a time in Lingerie Departments of Departmental Stores.

Customize Joomla Template said...

I am working with an
Internet marketing company
and this really worth reading for me Many things i did not know before. I would be your frequent visitor.
Custom Company Logo Design