Friday, March 23, 2007

Opening Day at the Society for California Archaeology

Last night at the Plenary Session this year's Society for California Archaeology meetings officially opened. This morning's symposium on "Human Behavioral Ecology and California Archaeology" was absolutely outstanding, featuring some good friends of mine (Frank Bayham (CSU Chico), Jack Broughton (University of Utah) and Erick Bartelink (CSU Chico); I also caught up with my old undergraduate professor from UC Davis, Robert Bettinger, who opened the symposium with a discussion on what we're doing wrong and right with the application of foraging theory to interpreting the archaeological record. More thoughts on the symposium later...

I briefly sat with Dwight Simons, California zooarchaeologist extraordinaire, who I've known for some time. Dwight is the kind of zooarchaeologist we all aspire to be, with an absolutely astounding, encyclopedic understanding of issues and data in California zooarchaeology. During a break between papers, he turns to me and says, "Oh and I want to thank you for the Northstate Science blog!"...Wow, I was certainly surprised (and more than pleased!) that he regular reads the posts here. It also turns out, that his sister-in-law is none other than Molleen Matsumura, a name familiar to me and others for her work with National Center for Science Education, The Council for Secular Humanism, and her book, Voices For Evolution.

Small world, even for us archaeologists....

1 comment:

vicente manchen said...

This is a great posst thanks